[Mailman-Users] "-owner" works, "-admin" doesn't...

Kris Wilk kris at reefnet.ca
Thu Apr 27 20:28:53 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Yes. Your analysis seems correct. Mailman generated messages are always
> sent from <the site list>-bounces at domain.
>
> The only thing that puzzles me is that should also be true for the
> relay of the messages you sent to -owner so why did they go through?
> If you send a message to -owner, what do you see in the received
> message in any Return-Path: or Sender: headers?

Now we're getting somewhere...

Below is the full content of a message I just sent to
"fubar-owner at reefnet.ca". See if this logic makes sense:

1) -owner has worked all along. Looking at the message, the Return-Path:
is "mailman-bounces at cheiron...". cheiron is the name of the shared
server my site is on. I suspect SMTP is configured to allow
"mailman-bounces at cheiron..." as a sender.

2) My test yesterday showed that "mailman-bounces at reefnet.ca" (my own
domain) was being rejected as a sender.

Is it possible that Mailman is using these two different addresses for
the -owner and -admin situations? Would that explain why one has been
working and the other not?

Kris