[Mailman-Users] Sender field

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 28 05:31:47 CEST 2006

Neal Groothuis wrote:

>I would like to request that a feature be added in the next version of
>Mailman to allow a list administrator to disable rewriting of the
>"Sender:" header, or (better) for this behavior to be eliminated from
>Mailman altogether.

The best place to make this kind of request is in FeatureRequests in
the sourceforge.net tracker, and it is already there at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1460796&group_id=103&atid=350103.
Please look at that item and add your own comments as you wish.

Note however that there is motivation for keeping the Sender behavior
as is because there are still broken MTAs that will return bounces to
the Sender:, so anything that actually is implemented would likely be
an option with current behavior as the default.

Also, RFC 2822 arguably requires a Sender: header in the case of a list
sending mail on behalf of a poster.