[Mailman-Users] language encoding for archives

kristina clair kclair at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 06:26:36 CEST 2006

On 4/27/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> kristina clair wrote:
> >
> >I've noticed that changing the language preference for a list will
> >change the character set for the list pages, but not for the archives.
> > Do I need to modify the archive templates in order to have the
> >archive pages use the same character set?  Or is there another way?
>
> It depends which archive pages you're talking about. The table of
> contents is rebuilt with every message and should be OK. The periodic
> (monthly) index pages are only rebuilt when a post is added so old
> periods are not usually updated. The html message pages themselves are
> never updated.
>
> Thus if you make changes that affect these such as changing the list
> language, you have to rebuild the archives to update most of the html
> pages. See
>
> bin/arch --help

Hmmm, I just regenerated the archives, and the table of contents page
looks the same.  According to the html header, the page is using
charset utf-8, so the text is just a lot of symbols.  The main list
info page has cyrillic characters, but no charset specified in the
html.  I think what this particular list manager wants is for the
archive page to show cyrillic characters - is that possible?

I'm not entirely sure which language he has selected because
everything is in the other language (even the output of
bin/config_list?), but if I'm reading the cyrillic right then it might
be Ukrainian.

Thanks,
Kristina