[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-Developers] Sender field

Neal Groothuis ngroot at imsa.edu
Fri Apr 28 20:05:45 CEST 2006

John W. Baxter wrote:
> Probably, indeed.  But what happens if that header was already "taken" in
> the process that brought the message to mailman for distribution to the
> list?

As I noted in my previous response, I believe that the correct field (if
Mailman were to add a "Sender:" header) to add would be "Resent-Sender".
  Please see RFC 2822, section 3.6.6.  The "Resent-Sender" field may be
multivalued, so this isn't a problem.  However, Mailman should not be
modifying the Sender: field at all.

"Original-Sender" is a header used when gatewaying X.400 messages into
RFC 822 messages for use in JNT mail networks.  It would not be
appropriate for use here.