[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-Developers] Sender field

Bob Puff@NLE bob at nleaudio.com
Fri Apr 28 20:08:38 CEST 2006

Don't forget to consider things like SPF, which I think uses the sender field.  Whatever is used for
SPF _must_ be the domain of the mailman box, or you're gonna run into a pack of trouble.

...Trouble similar to a current problem I am having with AOL: they are bouncing all email with the
FROM: address of a specific AOL user, when mailman delivers the messages to -any- aol or cs.com
address.  Its a very bad problem, because AOL is saying its a SPF problem, when it clearly isn't (as
  other aol people can post to the list and receive their posts), and all the aol users are being
automatically unsubscribed from lists that this guy posts on.  But I digress...

Bob

Neal Groothuis wrote:

 > It does not appear that Mailman modifies the "Sender:" field to comply with RFC 2822.  The
list-bounces address is not the mailbox of the agent responsible for transmitting the message, as
required in section 3.6.2.  The mailbox of the agent responsible for the transmission of the message
would be the list-owner address.

 > Mailman's use the "Sender:" field does not seem to be in line with the intent of the RFC, nor
with current usage of the field.

<snip>