[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-Developers] Sender field

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Apr 29 02:12:11 CEST 2006

At 7:50 PM -0400 2006-04-28, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>  On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 13:05 -0500, Neal Groothuis wrote:
>
>>  As I noted in my previous response, I believe that the correct field (if
>>  Mailman were to add a "Sender:" header) to add would be "Resent-Sender".
>>    Please see RFC 2822, section 3.6.6.
>
>  Whatever else we decide, I don't agree, or at least, it won't help us.
>  $3.6.6 says that Resent-* headers are to be added by a user.  It also
>  says that these are purely informational headers, so I don't see how
>  adding them will instruct a receiving MTA usefully.

	Siunce the RFC doesn't specifically talk about "relay agents" as
separate from "users", I think we could argue that Mailman would
qualify as a "user" in this context.  Therefore, the Resent-* headers
seem to be most appropriate.

	But you are correct that these are purely informational and will
be completely ignored by any MTA.  If we need something that will be
noticed by other MTAs beyond the envelope sender and the
"Return-Path:" & "Errors-To:" headers, then we're going to have to
carefully think about this.

	I am still opposed to blindly making this change and letting the
community find out what happens.

	I think we need to gather a lot more information about the likely
outcome from this change, and I think the best way to achieve this is
through giving admins (either site admins or list admins) the ability
to set an option and choose whether or not they want to see what
happens.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755