[Mailman-Users] Recompiling question.

William D. Tallman wtallman at olypen.com
Sun Apr 30 07:36:24 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 08:54:41PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> William D. Tallman wrote:
>
> >Is there a canonical method of recompiling Mailman without losing all
> >the entries and data?
>
> configure ; make install
>
> See the UPGRADING document at the top level of the distribution for
> more information.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

What happens if I don't 'install'?  Do the recompiled execuatbles simply
remain in the build directory?  If so, can I then copy them over to
/usr/local/mailman/[bin|contrib|cron]?  Reason I ask is that a simple
recompile wasn't exactly addressed in the UPGRADE text, although I did
get that I should shut things down while redoing the binaries.

Or are there configuration files that will have changed, etc?  All I
seem to need to do is reconfigure with " --with-mail-gid=daemon" in
order to satisfy Sendmail, or so says the complaint in /var/log/maillog
when I started 'mailmanctl'.  There were three messages in
/var/spool/mail/mailman that I'd sent to verify that the incoming mail
got to where it needed to be.  Each one elicited the complaint and they
were not 'bounced'.

In the end, I could simply blow it all away and start over, but that
sounds a bit too much like the necessaries for a popular operating
software suite.

Thanks for responding,

Bill Tallman