[Mailman-Users] Recompiling question.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Apr 30 16:41:17 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 10:36 PM -0700 2006-04-29, William D. Tallman wrote:
>

>>                                          Reason I ask is that a simple
>>  recompile wasn't exactly addressed in the UPGRADE text, although I did
>>  get that I should shut things down while redoing the binaries.
>
>	The problem is that you're thinking of Python as if it were C.
>It's not.  In Python, we replace the source code files, and let
>Python do a recompile on-the-fly, if such is called for.

Actually, in this particular case, it is C. The only thing that needs
changing in the installation is the mail wrapper. The minimal steps to
do this without actually going into the configure and Makefile files
and only doing pieces is

0) cd to the source top level (unpack) directory

1) configure with new --with-mail-gid option

2) cd src/

3) make mailman

4) cp mailman $(exec-prefix)/mail/

Alternatively, you can skip rerunning configure and just

cd to the src/ directory

edit Makefile to put the correct group in the MAIL_GROUP= definition

go to step 3)