[Mailman-Users] Trouble moving mailings lists to replacement system

Richard Crane richard.crane at haskins.yale.edu
Tue Aug 8 21:28:41 CEST 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 3:09 PM, Dragon wrote:

> Richard Crane sent the message below at 11:37 8/8/2006:
>> I have almost successfully moved a set of lists to a new computer.
>> Both are running OS X server, the older Mailman 2.1.6, the new
>> 2.1.8   All I need to do is make the lists advertised on the listinfo
>> page, even though they are on the old system.  If I directly enter
>> the URL of a list for either regular or admin, I can get to it and
>> all the information appears to be clear.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to get the lists appear on the summary page?
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> If these lists were shown on the old server they should be shown on
> the new one if you copied the list config.pck files over.
>
> To set display of these lists, you need to go to the list admin
> page, select Privacy options, then on the Subscription rules page
> set advertised = Yes.

I did copy the lists/ directories.  Running bin/dumpdb on a new list
shows this properly set:

[----- start pickle file -----]
<----- start object 1 ----->

     'acceptable_aliases': '\n',
     'admin_immed_notify': True,
     'admin_member_chunksize': 30,
     'admin_notify_mchanges': False,
     'admin_responses': {},
     'administrivia': True,
     'advertised': 1,
     'anonymous_list': False,
     'archive': True,
     'archive_private': 0,
     'archive_volume_frequency': 1,
[ .... ]

Richard Crane
-----
Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio, replied:
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull
his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you
understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send
signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that
there is no cat ."