[Mailman-Users] upgrading, changing MTA and moving between servers

Kim Leandersson kim.leandersson at chs.chalmers.se
Sat Aug 26 00:15:53 CEST 2006

Hi,

For starters I have read the documentation available and done some
googleing before this post.

Today we have about 25-30 lists running on an old Debian Woody
installation with postfix as MTA. Since the installation is old Mailman
runs version 2.0.11. Our new server is running Qmail, Rhel4 and Mailman
2.1.5 and my question is about best practice for this migration.

I've read some pages telling me that the administrative addresses has
changed between these versions. I'm not sure if the best way is:

1) to create the lists on the new server, use the config-list script to
export the config and the import this on the new server

2) just manually copy the lists/listname and archives directories to the
new server

3) upgrade the old server to 2.1.5 and the move to new server?

At this moment I prefer 1) since I'm really not that familiar with qmail
and it would be nice if the system handled the creation of aliases. But
how should I then procede? Should I run config-list to export/import or
can I just copy som directories to the new server and fix the
permissions and the URL:s?

//kim