[Mailman-Users] Old lists are working. New lists discardallmessages. How to debug?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Dec 1 19:42:50 CET 2006

Brian Parish wrote:

>I did a bit more digging and found that the lists which don't work have
>no entries in /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>
>Obviously a problem!  Tried creating another list and found that entries
>were created in /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman and indeed, that
>one works (although with other issues, which I'll post on separately).
>Having gone through the same process for both, I am at a loss to
>understand this, but does this info add anything to the understanding of
>anyone else?

You can try running bin/genaliases which should rebuild the aliases and
virtual-mailman files.

The fact that the list entries are missing from virtual-mailman may be
another manifestation of the same underlying problem, but I don't
think it is the cause per se as the posts are getting through the MTA
(Postfix?) and getting discarded by Mailman. If the missing
virtual-mailman entries were the problem, the posts would be rejected
by Postfix or misdelivered.

You could check your Postfix log to verify that the post is ultimately
piped to "|path/to/mail/mailman post listname".