[Mailman-Users] Mailman still sending command confirmations viae-maili

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Dec 1 22:40:58 CET 2006

Ben Swihart wrote:

>Well, I have set the send_welcome_msg to Yes.  These command result
>e-mails are still going out.
>
>Also, is mailmainctl -s restart the proper way to restart and
>incorporate changes to the code?

The -s option is not really applicable to a 'restart', but yes, that
should do it. In general, it is not a good idea to use '-s' unless you
have run the command (really only mailmanctl start) without it and it
has complained about locks and you have verified that the locks really
are stale. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.068.htp>.

That said, these confirmations shouldn't be sent in your case with or
without the patch.

Look at the file Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py. You will see the
definition of the Results class and within that, the definition of the
send_response() method which should begin as follows:

    def send_response(self):
        # Helper
        def indent(lines):
            return ['    ' + line for line in lines]
        # Quick exit for some commands which don't need a response
        if not self.respond:
            return

Do you see that? Also, in cmd_confirm.py right after the lines you
patched, do you see

            # We don't also need to send a confirmation succeeded
message
            res.respond = 0
        else: