[Mailman-Users] Help with Mailman and Sendmail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Dec 3 19:50:57 CET 2006

David Abrahams wrote:

>I'm trying to follow the directions for integrating Mailman with
>Sendmail, but I think they may be incomplete.  It looks like there
>were orginally some instructions directed at installations like mine
>(a few users, a few mailing lists, *one* computer), and they were
>entirely replaced by instructions for installations where an entire
>host could be dedicated to serving mailman lists.  There are oblique
>references to how much easier the mm-handler method is than the
>alternative "maintaining lists of aliases" but no details about what
>that alternative involves.

It involves maintaining a set of aliases in /etc/aliases for each list
such as

## mailman mailing list
mailman:            "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe:"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
mailman"

This can be done automatically. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.049.htp>
and the post to which it refers.

>I don't mind going the mm-handler way if it's more scalable, so I
>pointed a separate domain, lists.boost-consulting.com, at my server.
>But now I have to learn about virtual hosting with sendmail and figure
>out how to integrate my .mc file with the supplied mailman.mc and have
>the respective settings that are different only apply to the intended
>hosts.  I don't know too much about sendmail (or email protocols in
>general, really), so this is turning into a big and risky project.  Is
>there anyone here who can help me get this stuff configured without
>bringing my email system to its knees for too long?

Look at the 'automated' method referred to in the FAQ. You may decide
you don't need to go the mm-handler route.