[Mailman-Users] mbox files

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Sun Dec 3 23:12:54 CET 2006

Does the /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/listname.mbox directory have to
contain just one file, or can I break it up by year or something to make
them more managable?

I had my mailman lists on my home server, but a few years ago I moved them
to a virtual private server.  Because the disk space was limited there, I
started trimming down the listname.mbox files down to just the previous
two years worth.  But now I've moved them again, this time to a colo box
where I have more disk space than I know what to do with.  I want to
restore the old archives.  Can I just dump the old mbox file in the same
directory as the current archives and do a "arch listname"?  Or will I
have to run "arch" once for the old file and once for the listname.mbox
file?

Will "arch" handle the case where there is a bit of overlap between two
files (the files from my home system go from 1999 to mid-2005, and the
ones on my VPS go from the beginning of 2005 to the present)?

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
Things which do you no good in aviation: Altitude above you.