[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Fedora Core, 500 Internal Server Error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Dec 4 21:41:34 CET 2006

Vernon Webb wrote:

>I have posted a few times with no luck in getting mailman to work with Fedora Core
>using YUM. I have installed and all seems to be working something to do with suexe.
>Emails go out and using email a person can subcribe, but the web pages do not work.
>Can anyone please tell me they have successfully installed mailman on a Fedora Core
>box and if so can they please help me get mine working. I understand that is a
>permissions error having to do with suexe, but I have not clue how to make it work.

The Apache restrictions on the suEXEC module conflict with Mailman's
security model. If possible, don't use suEXEC for the Mailman CGIs.

If you have to use suEXEC, I think you will have to make the suEXEC
user and group the same as the owner and group of the wrappers (in
$prefix/cgi-bin) and possibly remove the SETGID bit from the wrappers.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>
and <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/suexec.html> for further detail.

Note that I have no experience with suEXEC so I may be wrong about
this, but that's how it looks to me.