[Mailman-Users] VERP and AOL feedback

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Dec 5 00:30:45 CET 2006

Rob Jackson wrote:

>Is there anyway I could add header like X-Member.  This way it does not
>interfere with what they see, or use for filtering.  I have added custom
>headers already to our mailings, but I am not sure how I would go about
>getting the actual e-mail address of the customer in there.

I'm sure there are multiple ways to do this, but here's what I suggest.

Set

OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes

in mm_cfg.py. Then set the list's Non-digest options->personalize to
Yes.

Also, find the code

        try:
            d['user_delivered_to'] = mlist.getMemberCPAddress(member)
            # BAW: Hmm, should we allow this?
            d['user_password'] = mlist.getMemberPassword(member)
            d['user_language'] = mlist.getMemberLanguage(member)

in the process() function in Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py and add the
line

            msg['X-Member-Address'] = d['user_delivered_to']

to make it

        try:
            d['user_delivered_to'] = mlist.getMemberCPAddress(member)
            msg['X-Member-Address'] = d['user_delivered_to']
            # BAW: Hmm, should we allow this?
            d['user_password'] = mlist.getMemberPassword(member)
            d['user_language'] = mlist.getMemberLanguage(member)

This will only work for messages, not for digests.