[Mailman-Users] Email Command Confirmations

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 7 19:55:36 CET 2006

deepali wrote:

>I figured out how to upgrade Mailman from 2.1.5 to 2.1.6 on Mac OS X
>Server 10.4.8.

If you are going to upgrade, it would be much better to upgrade to
2.1.9 which would be the same process if you are upgrading from source.

>I followed the instructions for the patch.  It does not work.  Has
>anyone had better success with it and can anyone point me in the
>right direction?

See below.

>On Dec 5, 2006, at 2:09 PM, deepali wrote:
>
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I recently went to the archives to see if there was a way to turn
>> off the email command confirmations, and I came across the email
>> thread below.
>>
>> I looked at the patch, was able to change the code, but I am still
>> getting email command confirmations.  I am guessing that it is
>> because I am not doing something right, since I am new to using
>> Mailman and know very little about Python.  So, I have a few
>> questions.
>>
>> 1 - Does this patch work on Mailman 2.1.5?  (This is the version
>> that comes with Mac OS Tiger Server.)  If not, does anyone have
>> instructions on how to upgrade on OS X Server?  Does 2.1.9 still
>> need this patch?

The patch should work on 2.1.5 (with possible line number changes). If
you want the functionality of the patch, it is required even in 2.1.9
(with possible line number changes).

>> 2 - In the patch, it says to set RESPOND_TO_SUCCESSFUL_CONFIRM =
>> Yes.  But in the code, it looks for (not
>> mm_cfg.RESPOND_TO_SUCCESSFUL_CONFIRM).  If I don't want the
>> confirmations, shouldn't I set RESPOND_TO_SUCCESSFUL_CONFIRM = No?

The patch sets 'RESPOND_TO_SUCCESSFUL_CONFIRM = Yes' in Defaults.py.in
(which configure uses to make Defaults.py) in order to make the
default behavior unchanged from that without the patch.

To enable the function, you would then put
'RESPOND_TO_SUCCESSFUL_CONFIRM = No' in mm_cfg.py.

>> 3 - Do I have to compile the code after I change it?  Do I have to
>> recreate the list to make the changes work?

As Brad said in another reply, you have to either 'restart' or 'stop'
and 'start' Mailman. When this is done, the patched modules will be
reimported at which point, Python will detect they've been changed and
recompile them.