[Mailman-Users] Mailman archive messages(not rm, but install!)

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Dec 9 00:58:07 CET 2006

At 11:43 AM -0500 12/8/06, John A. Martin wrote:

>  See <http://packages.debian.org/unstable/mail/mailman> for a
>  description of the Debian Mailman package that "integrates
>  .... archiving ...".  Further down that page under the heading
>  "Download mailman" click on one of the "list of files" buttons and see
>  among other things: "usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py"

I've never claimed to be a Debian expert, and if they're mucking
about with packages that include certain features by default in order
to remove those features, then there's not much I can do to help the
poor souls that are stuck with that kind of stuff.

However, no amount of your expecting me to do "fact-checking" with
the way that Debian is building their highly modified packaged
versions of our software is going to change that.  It's physically
impossible to keep up with how every single vendor is choosing to
ship our software.

As far as I'm concerned, Debian is now further in the doghouse with
me with regards to Mailman than most any other vendor, with the
possible exception of cPanel.  Even Apple ships a relatively
plain-jane version of Mailman 2.1.5 with their MacOS X Server
platform, even if they do have their own proprietary management
system that they tack on.

Now, if you want to side with the Debian folks on this, you're
welcome to do that.  But no one in that camp is going to be getting
any sympathy from me.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.