[Mailman-Users] Turning off unsubscription confirmation

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Dec 11 22:08:58 CET 2006

Ben Swihart wrote:

>Because we are unable to stop mailman from delivering e-mail command
>results to our subscribers, we have gone back to a confirmation system
>whereby an e-mail is sent to users when a subscription request is made.

Now I'm really confused. I thought that what was happening before was
your users would submit a subscription request and receive a confirm
email saying they needed to reply (or visit a web link) to confirm
their subscription, and when they replied to the confirm email, they
would get both a 'results of your email commands' message and a list
welcome message, and you didn't want both. And I said I didn't
understand why the user was sent the 'results of your email commands'
commands message because it shouldn't be sent in this case.

Now it sounds like this is the system you have 'gone back to', so what
were you doing before?

Also, I was trying to work with you to find out what the problem is. I
asked some questions in my reply at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-December/054733.html>.
Did you answer these off list? There is nothing in the archive.
Anyway, they may not be the correct questions as it now seems I didn't
understand what you were doing.

>However, we feel that unsubscription confirmation is uncessary and the
>unsub e-mail is basically an extra step.  How do you turn off the unsub
>confirmation e-mail and keep the sub confirmation e-mail?

The only way for a user to unsubscribe without a confirmation is to log
in to her options page with her password and unsubscribe from there.
Any other unsubscribe method can be easily spoofed, thus a
confirmation is required. I don't know if you were avoiding this in
the past, and if you were, I don't know how, at least not without
modifying code.