[Mailman-Users] Case-Sensitivity Problem?

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Wed Dec 13 18:29:42 CET 2006

To all,

I recently had a member (an administrator and moderator, no less) whose
message was bounced.  Their moderation bit is not set, and in addition
to being the list administrator, they are an undigested member.
However, they recently had a message held for moderator approval.  I
cannot seem to figure out why; my only rational explanation is that in
the member list, they are listed as "foo at bar.com", but the headers from
the email that this person sent lists the sender as "FOO at bar.com".

 From reading the docs, I thought that (for list membership purposes),
the email addresses were case insensitive, thus complying with RFC 822.
Am I misinformed?  If it helps, when the message was bounced, it was
categorized as having an unrecognizable format and/or not containing a
member address.  Here is the message the user/administrator received:

 >The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
 >format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
 >from it.  This mailing list has been configured to send all
 >unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

Again, the message headers contain:

 >From: FOO at bar.com

And their email address, as listed in the web interface, is:

 >foo at bar.com

Any thoughts, hints, ideas?  Thanks in advance!

Ryan

--
Ryan Steele
Systems Administrator               steele at agora-net.com
AgoraNet, Inc.                      (302) 224-2475
314 E. Main Street, Suite 1         (302) 224-2552 (fax)
Newark, DE 19711                    http://www.agora-net.com