[Mailman-Users] User unsubscribing

Alan McConnell alan at patriot.net
Thu Dec 14 00:35:01 CET 2006

I'm still using mm 2.1.5, still trying to get my ISP to pay attention . . .

Anyway: I can test my E-list in various ways, because I'm subscribed from
a couple of addresses, in addition to adminning it from the E-address
you're getting this from.

So: this afternoon I unsubscribed myself, using lynx, from one of my
other addresses, because a member had written there was a problem.
And my "unsubscribe" seemed to go through, and I got, at this address,
a message from mailman-bounces that indeed "I", at my other address,
had been removed . . .

But when I went back to check: there "I" am, still a member.

My question: how can that happen?  I'm not the sharpest SW designer
around, but I surely know that you don't have your SW send out messages
that something has been done unless you are damn sure it has been done.
I'm supposing -- I'm ignorant of python -- that that must be the way
the mailman people did it too.  Only _after_ a successful delete from the
roster has been accomplished -- all kinds of ways I can think of to ensure
that that happened -- should the announcement be sent out.

And surely the code that puts the members up on the admin membership
management roster is the simplest possible?  and should react right
away?

So: have I exhausted the possibilities?  I am of course looking for
ammunition to present to my ISP, to help them decide to reinstall.
But if this is a problem that will recur in 2.1.9?

TIA for anticipated help and suggestions.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    "The intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."