[Mailman-Users] Case-Sensitivity Problem?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Dec 14 22:26:19 CET 2006

At 11:35 AM -0500 12/14/06, Ryan Steele wrote:

>  Yes, I realize this.  But, there's no reason for the log to indicate
>  that <cef.43ab224.32b16b26 at aol.com>
>  was being considered as an indiscernable address.

That's not quite what happened.  Let's go back to an earlier message,
where you quoted:

>  And here is a message from Mailman's bounce log:
>
>>  Dec 13 09:42:38 2006 (2202) bounce message w/no discernable addresses:
>>  <cef.43ab224.32b16b26 at aol.com>
>>  Dec 13 09:42:38 2006 (2202) forwarding unrecognized, message-id:
>>  <cef.43ab224.32b16b26 at aol.com>

In the case of the first line, it's telling you that some sort of
message was received to the -bounces address for the list, but it's
not something that Mailman recognized as a bounce that it could
parse.  But it did identify the message in question, although it
didn't specifically use the term "message-id".

In the second line, it did explicitly use the term "message-id", but
it's still talking about the same message with the same problem, only
now it's telling you that it's forwarding this message to a human.

>                                                     It ought to have been
>  able to extrapolate the real AOL address of the sender, don't you think?

Whatever happened, I'm sure that Mailman would have been able to
determine who the claimed sender of the message was.  The problem was
that, for some reason, it was delivered to the -bounces address for
the list (as opposed to some other address), and yet it was not
formatted like any bounce that Mailman knows how to recognize.

The fault here almost certainly is not with AOL per se, nor with
Mailman.  The fault lies in however a message that was intended to be
posted to the list was instead somehow delivered to the -bounces
address, and then dealing with the fallout from that situation.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.