[Mailman-Users] FW: Wrong group

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Dec 19 03:26:47 CET 2006

Ralph Utbult wrote:
>Todd, my /usr/lib/mailman/subdir-files all have mail as GUID. Isn't that
>suppose to mean mail client (Postfix)?

They should all be GID = the group of the 'mailman' user, which is
probably 'mailman' judging from the group mismatch error you reported.
Then, the question is why doesn't bin/check_perms -f fix it? Are you
running this as root?

>Silly question, is the mail wrapper the /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman

>Aliases is root mail and aliases.db is mail mail
>Isn't group mailman used at all?

Which ailases and aliases.db. The ones in /etc, I'm guessing.

With MTA = 'Postfix' Mailman maintains its aliases separately in
Mailman's data/aliases and data/aliases.db. These are the files that
are apparently GID='mailman' and not GID='mail'. However, if you
change them to GID='mail', Mailman's list create and delete processes
may no longer be able to update them, so you may be stuck.

for more on how Mailman uses groups.

It seems like whoever created your package either didn't intend you to
use Postfix or did a poor job.