[Mailman-Users] FW: Wrong group

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Dec 19 03:26:47 CET 2006

Ralph Utbult wrote:

>Todd, my /usr/lib/mailman/subdir-files all have mail as GUID. Isn't that
>suppose to mean mail client (Postfix)?

They should all be GID = the group of the 'mailman' user, which is
probably 'mailman' judging from the group mismatch error you reported.
Then, the question is why doesn't bin/check_perms -f fix it? Are you
running this as root?

>Silly question, is the mail wrapper the /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
>file?

Yes.

>Aliases is root mail and aliases.db is mail mail
>
>Isn't group mailman used at all?

Which ailases and aliases.db. The ones in /etc, I'm guessing.

With MTA = 'Postfix' Mailman maintains its aliases separately in
Mailman's data/aliases and data/aliases.db. These are the files that
are apparently GID='mailman' and not GID='mail'. However, if you
change them to GID='mail', Mailman's list create and delete processes
may no longer be able to update them, so you may be stuck.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>
for more on how Mailman uses groups.

It seems like whoever created your package either didn't intend you to
use Postfix or did a poor job.