[Mailman-Users] mailman not archiving

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Dec 23 05:28:40 CET 2006

Anne Hammond wrote:

>The two messages are in

/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox or

/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox should be a
directory that contains the

Assuming that's what you meant, that means that archiving to
is working, but pipermail archiving is not.

>Now here is the problem.  I thought this list was created today, but
>it turns out that it was created  9.May.2006.  There are 9 messages
>in vorpal-users.mbox that were there before, with the 2 from today
>at the end.
>The 9 earlier messages are not in the archives.  They don't need
>to be.

I'm guessing that the 9 messages were in the pipermail archive but were
lost when you moved over the other archive.

>Can I hand edit this file and maybe run a cleanarch?

Here's my suggestion.

Get the archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox/vorpal-users.mbox file from
the other machine and append either the two or the eleven messages to
it so you have one
file with all the messages you want archived.

Run bin/cleanarch with the '-n' option and the overall .mbox as input.
If it gives any "Unix-From line changed:" messages, then move the
file and rerun bin/cleanarch without '-n' to create a 'cleaned'

Then run 'bin/arch --wipe vorpal-users' to remove and rebuild the
pipermail archive.

for more info about this. Be aware, that it's possible that the
bin/arch --wipe will cause messages to be assigned different numbers
in the archive, thus invalidating saved URLs pointing to archived
messages, but I gather that at least the host portion of the URL
changed anyway.

Once you have rebuilt the archive in this way, it should work from now