[Mailman-Users] mailman not archiving

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Dec 23 05:28:40 CET 2006

Anne Hammond wrote:

>The two messages are in
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox.

/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox or
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox/vorpal-users.mbox?

/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox should be a
directory that contains the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox/vorpal-users.mbox
file.

Assuming that's what you meant, that means that archiving to
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox/vorpal-users.mbox
is working, but pipermail archiving is not.

>Now here is the problem.  I thought this list was created today, but
>it turns out that it was created  9.May.2006.  There are 9 messages
>in vorpal-users.mbox that were there before, with the 2 from today
>at the end.
>
>The 9 earlier messages are not in the archives.  They don't need
>to be.

I'm guessing that the 9 messages were in the pipermail archive but were
lost when you moved over the other archive.

>Can I hand edit this file and maybe run a cleanarch?

Here's my suggestion.

Get the archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox/vorpal-users.mbox file from
the other machine and append either the two or the eleven messages to
it so you have one
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox/vorpal-users.mbox
file with all the messages you want archived.

Run bin/cleanarch with the '-n' option and the overall .mbox as input.
If it gives any "Unix-From line changed:" messages, then move the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox/vorpal-users.mbox
file and rerun bin/cleanarch without '-n' to create a 'cleaned'
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/vorpal-users.mbox/vorpal-users.mbox
file.

Then run 'bin/arch --wipe vorpal-users' to remove and rebuild the
pipermail archive.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.003.htp>
for more info about this. Be aware, that it's possible that the
bin/arch --wipe will cause messages to be assigned different numbers
in the archive, thus invalidating saved URLs pointing to archived
messages, but I gather that at least the host portion of the URL
changed anyway.

Once you have rebuilt the archive in this way, it should work from now
on.