[Mailman-Users] Migrating to new server...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Dec 23 18:57:57 CET 2006

Will Nordmeyer wrote:

>I'm preparing to migrate my mailman V2.1.9 (just upgraded from 2.1.8 last
>night) lists, etc. to a new server.  I found this article
>http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg11052.html directing
>me how to back up/restore, etc.

Also see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.004.htp>
and perhaps other FAQs including 4.6 and 4.18 and 4.29.

>It tells me to back up config.db for each list.  I don't have/can't find any
>config.db files within the mailman system.  How bad is that?

config.db went away in Mailman 2.1. It is now config.pck. The
instructions in the article you point to contain unnecessary steps. It
isn't necessary to create the list with newlist on the new server.
Also, the config.db files they refer to (now config.pck files) are in
the lists/listname/ directories, so following the steps literally will
move them twice.