[Mailman-Users] Virtual Servers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Feb 6 17:48:48 CET 2006

Jon Loose wrote:
>I have successfully set up mailman 2.1.6 on my redhat
>server, but now wish to use further domain names.  I
>would like the domain names to be treated as
>separately as possible, but reading through the docs,
>it seems that I cannot have the same list name on
>separate domains.  This is not an issue, so fine.
>I have set up a virtual mail domain for a second
>domain, and am able to successfully send/receive email
>via this domain.
>I have then changed the "preferred domain" for one of
>my lists (via web interface) to this second domain.
>I'm sure there is more to do, but unsure exactly what:

You probably need to run fix_url for the list, but that's not the first
step. See below.

>The question is, what do I need to do next in
>postfix/mailman to make the two work together?
>1 - Do I need to edit /etc/postfix/virtual?

I'm not really familiar with Postfix, but see
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html> and the
other material in that section of the manual.

>2 - What changes do I need to make to mailman?

In mm_cfg.py you need to set/add the following (see Defaults.py for

MTA = Postfix
add_virtualhost('url_hostname', 'email_hostname')

If the Defaults.py settings

POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'

aren't correct, override them in mm_cfg.py

>3 - Do I need to make any changes to httpd.conf or
>other apache config files? (note that I can access the
>mailman admin interface via domain1/mailman/admin and
>also domain2/mailman/admin, but at present the list of
>email lists only shows up via domain1/mailman/admin)

Perhaps you are OK as is with apache then. If you put the
add_virtualhost() in mm_cfg.py and run fix_url to set the domain2 list
to 'domain2', that list should 'move to' the domain2 listinfo and
admin overview pages.