[Mailman-Users] mail-gid problem...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Feb 7 23:31:56 CET 2006

Randolph Langley wrote:

>I am trying to get mailman running with virtual domains on a postfix box.
>
>When I found this error in the log:
>
>relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (Command died with status 2:
>"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin test". Command output: Group
>mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
>as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
>script as group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command
>line option `--with-mail-gid=nobody'
>
>I did a make clean; ./configure --with-mail-gid=nobody; make install
>
>Now I am find the opposite in the mail logs:
>
>relay=local, delay=0, status=bounced (Command died with status 2:
>"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request test". Command output: Group
>mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
>as group "nobody", but the system's mail server executed the mail script
>as group "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as
>group "nobody", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>`--with-mail-gid=mailman'
>
>Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this one?

The normal cause of this with Postfix is having Mailman's aliases in
more than one file. When Postfix finds an alias that pipes to a
command, it runs the command with user/group equal to the ownership of
the aliases.db (or whatever it's name is) in which it found the alias.

So I'm guessing you have some Mailman aliases in Mailman's data/aliases
and data/aliases.db files which belong to group Mailman and other
Mailman aliases in /etc/postfix/aliases and /etc/postfix/aliases.db
which belong to group nobody.

The best fix is to put all Mailman's aliases in Mailman's files and
reconfigure --with-mail-gid=mailman.

Running bin/genaliases should fix all Mailman's alias files which may
actually be OK anyway, but you still will need to remove any Mailman
aliases from /etc/postfix/aliases and run postalias.