[Mailman-Users] Virtual Servers

Jon Loose jjloose at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 19:37:36 CET 2006

OK, I am sure I am almost there!

I now have data/aliases and data/mailman-virtual
functioning correctly, in that when lists are created
or deleted, the appropriate alias entries are placed
into these files.  Thanks for getting me this far!

I have run into a further problem, however:

When I send a message to a test list on the primary
domain, it bounces with "listname at primarydomain.
listname:unknown user".

When I send a message to a test list on a virtual
domain, it bounces with "listname2 at virtualdomain.
listname2:unknown user".

Since aliases seem to be updating properly, this seems
odd.

Postfix is, I believe, properly connected to mailman,
with (in main.cf):

virtual_maps=hash:/usr/postfix/virtual,
hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
(NB I am assuming that I do not also update
virtual_domain_maps)

and:

alias_database=hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
(NB I am assuming that I do not also update
alias_maps)

I think I have the mm_cfg.py right, too, with:

MTA='Postfix'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS=['domain2']
add_virtualhost('www.domain2.org','domain2.org')

added.

Two final points:
1 - Before I tried setting up virtual domains, the
system worked fine on a single domain, without any
"unknown user" errors.
2 - Given the above, aliases for the special "mailman"
list are contained in both /etc/postfix/aliases and
/usr/local/mailman/aliases.  This doesn't seem to make
any difference, though I am unsure.

I hope this is a clear explanation - any help much
appreciated.

Jon

<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html>