[Mailman-Users] how to move mail list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Feb 13 05:42:30 CET 2006

Jason Novotny wrote:

>    Pardon me if this has been asked numerous times before, it might be
>a good FAQ entry--

You mean like
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.004.htp>?

>I found some mention of a
>script "move_list" on the webpage, but it's not in my bin directory
>after I did a make install.

This script was removed over 4 years ago as it's no longer needed.

>Can someone please help me with the
>necessary steps I need to perform, to move the old mail lists to our new
>server?

See the FAQ. Aside from that, the best thing, if possible is to deal
with all messages waiting moderation and outstanding confirmations and
the like on the old system so there aren't any to be moved. Then the
simplest thing is to move the entire contents of the archives/ and
lists/ directories (except maybe the site list).

If the domain names are changing, see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp>
too. Perhaps the safest thing to do in this case is to just move the
lists/<listname>/config.db files and the
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox files.

Do not create the list on the new host. Install the
lists/<listname>/config.db file and access the list via the admin web
interface. This will convert the config.db to a new config.pck after
which the config.db is not needed. If you create the list first, it
will have a config.pck, and Mailman will never look at the config.db.

Then fix the host_name and web_page_url attributes of the list with
fix_url, and rebuild the archives with 'bin/arch --wipe'