[Mailman-Users] Printer disappeared from lsusb

Hugh Esco he at reclaimedcomputers.ca
Mon Feb 13 22:26:12 CET 2006

Hello all:

Perhaps this is more of a usb question than a cups question, but I wasn't quite sure where to turn on this one.  About a month or so ago, I ran out of toner for my Samsung ML-1520.  Finally about two weeks ago, I got a new toner cartridge.  But when I installed it, I was left with both the Online/Error and the Toner Save leds are both glowing green.

Using lp and the cgi test page button, I am unable to get a job to print.  I purge the stuck jobs, restart the cupsys server and still nothing.  I used cat file.ps > /dev/usb/lp0, which is the port recorded in /etc/printers.conf as the one which used to work.  I get a no such device error.  I crawl under the workbench again, check the physical connections.  They all seem to be ok.  But lsusb returns:

hesco at marcus2:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

without identifying the printer.

Can anyone please advise me how I might trouble shoot this and get this brand new printer back up and working?

Thanks,
-- Hugh

--
RCK Computer Services