[Mailman-Users] Subscription settings not taking

Beartooth karhunhammas at Lserv.com
Wed Feb 15 14:35:16 CET 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	If you're talking about posting to the mailman-users and/or
> mailman-developers lists from a Gmane hosted newsgroup, then we need
> to have a talk with them again.

 	Yes. As you doubtless know, they accept nominations from
anyone, but ask the nominator to refrain except with permission of the
list; iirc, they used to check, too, but it's been quite a while. They
do certainly still run a panoply of spam defenses.

> 	IIRC, we asked them to stop mirroring the mailman-* mailing
> lists a while back, and if they have stealthed back into the system,
> then we need to look at banning all Gmane addresses from contacting
> any of the python.org sites through any mechanism.

 	That is of course your choice, and I'm sure you have reasons.

 	One effect will be to drive me, and doubtless some rising
number of others, as baby boomers retire and get into other
activities, off your lists. Gmane's great virtue is that it's a lot
simpler to monitor than trying to cope with list archives; one can
check occasionally for anything that looks comprehensible, delete the
rest unread, and gradually acquire enough competence, or at least
enough vocabulary, to ask what one needs. Having done so, one can flag
one's own post, and watch for replies.

 	To take the example I know best, one can monitor some
thirty-odd lists fairly actively, plus two or three times as many ad
hoc, of which one would not tackle more than two or three by
subscriptions -- and still do one's own work, and have a life.

 	There is also a compromise, though I have no idea how feasible
it might be for you: one can run one's one groups on one's own
newsserver. Examples are opera.no and grc.com (Steve Gibson's outfit,
which naturally has impressive defenses).

 	And with that I'll stop bothering you. No reply required
unless you should embrace some less draconian choice. Strength to your
arms! It's a fine listserver, and of course that comes first.

What do they know of country, who only country know?