[Mailman-Users] "disable_dns_lookups = yes" is a very bad idea

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Feb 18 12:12:07 CET 2006

At 11:06 PM -0500 2006-02-17, Jonathan Dill wrote:

>  Speaking ripe from experience, the Mailman FAQ suggests turning on
>  "disable_dns_lookups = yes" to improve the performance of Postfix with
>  Mailman, which kind of makes sense.  BUT in Postfix, this disables all
>  MX lookups.  So, unless you are going indirectly through a relay that is
>  going to handle MX lookups for you, Postfix will begin trying to deliver
>  e-mail to stupid addresses.

	Take another look at those entries.  We're talking about running
a second instance of postfix, on another port, with a special
configuration (disabling all anti-virus/anti-spam stuff, all DNS
lookups, etc...), and Mailman talking only to this second instance of
postfix.

	If this fact is not clear, please feel free to suggest ways that
the wording could be improved.  Alternatively, feel free to clean up
or clarify the wording yourself.

>  I added a note to the Mailman FAQ on this page:
>
>  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py

	That's the page for the main FAQ Wizard.  Which specific page
were you talking about?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755