[Mailman-Users] Moderator permissions or rights

Allan Hansen hansen at rc.org
Mon Feb 20 04:05:43 CET 2006

Thank you, Mark, for you response and the incredible amount of
support you provin on this list.

In this case my own preference is also not to give the list
moderator full admin access but to allow subscribes/unsubscribes.
I thus will have to do it with homebrew scripts that provide just
the right access.

Allan

At 22:41 -0800 2/18/06, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>Allan Hansen wrote:
>
>>I have this same requirement. I was thinking of writing some CGI
>>scripts that take commands from the moderator and then apply them
>>to the lists via the mailman command line interface.
>>
>>My own reason for this is that some moderators are handling many
>>lists, and going into each one with a password is taking too long.
>>Instead, I'll let them in with a single password, and then have
>>a dialog that lets them subscribe/unsubscribe/change address for
>>multiple people/lists at a time.
>

>Your approach is certainly viable, but here's another idea that may
>help in a case like yours.
>
>If the moderator uses a browser like Firefox for example that can
>remember passwords for a web site and can open a bookmark folder in
>tabs, she can create a bookmark folder containing links to the admindb
>pages for all the lists. Then if she selects the folder->open in tabs,
>this opens all the lists admindb pages at once, each in its own tab.
>Further if the password is saved and "automatically fill and submit"
>selected, the login is automatic. The one potential drawback is it
>generally requires all the moderator passwords for her lists to be the
>same, as passwords are remembered by site, not by page, at least in
>Firefox.
>
>--
>Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,
>San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

| Allan Hansen, Ph.D.                                             |
|    P.O. Box 2423, Cypress, CA 90630, U.S.A.                     |
| Work:                              Home:                        |
| Phone: +1-714/952-6015             +1-714/875-8870              |
| Fax:   +1-714/952-6746                                          |
| Email: allan.hansen at ugs.com        hansen at rc.org                |
| WWW:   http://www.ugs.com          http://www.rc.org/           |
|_Anything is possible with the right tools and right information_|