[Mailman-Users] installation problems - newlist-issues

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Feb 24 02:19:09 CET 2006

Henrik wrote:

>Then, I am doing the "newlist"-command by using the following syntax:
>"./newlist  --language en mailman admin at myserver.com mypassword"
>
>Doing so gives me the following error-message at the command-line:
>
>-----------------
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "./newlist", line 219, in ?
>    main()
>  File "./newlist", line 160, in main
>    mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 457, in Create
>    self.InitVars(name, admin, crypted_password)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 381, in InitVars
>    if Utils.GetCharSet(self.preferred_language) == 'us-ascii':
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 623, in GetCharSet
>    return mm_cfg.LC_DESCRIPTIONS[lang][1]
>KeyError: 'en_US'
>-----------------
>
>I've had this trouble every time I want to install Mailman, and it
>doesn't seem to bend.

Do you have

DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en-US'

in mm_cfg.py? It seems that that is the problem. Mailman has no
language 'en-US'. Since the default setting in Defaults.py is

DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en'

you can just remove

DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en-US'

from mm_cfg.py, or if you want it for documentation, change it to

DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en'