[Mailman-Users] Multiple mailing lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Feb 26 17:18:37 CET 2006

Nigel Ridley wrote:

>I read the documentation:
>http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/index.html
>and it looks pretty complicated (and I'm not sure if I could do all of
>what is required on my hosted website).

Usually, one does not have sufficient access to a hosted server to
install mailman.

>I have a website with a Mailman list (using cpanel - which came with the
>hosting plan) and I would like to have multiple mailing lists.
>Basically they would be announcement lists having the same content but
>in several different languages.
>
>Q. What is the best way to set up such a system?

You could have a list per language and post to each list in it's own
language. Ideally, each list's preferred_language attribute would be
the language you post in, but this would not be an absolute
requirement.

Mailman has no facility for actually translating the content of a post
to another language. The language options control the language of
notices, web pages and canned messages only.

>The problem using cpanel is that it defaults Mailman to English and my
>hosting company said it would be better to install Mailman in my own space:
><quote>
>You would have to install a copy of mailman under your own space to take
>advantage of the language packs.  Any change we would make to the
>serverwide install would just be overwritten by cpanel when next it updated.
><end quote>

Either I don't understand your issue or cPanel is worse than I thought
or your host doesn't understand Mailman's language support.

To set up a list in French for example, go to the Mailman admin
interface Language Options page. Check French under available
languages and Submit Your Changes. Then set preferred_language to
French and Submit Your Changes again. If this isn't available on your
hosted installation, then maybe you can't do it. If you can, then
there is nothing that the host has to change to support this that
would be reversed in an update.