[Mailman-Users] add_members

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Feb 28 07:20:39 CET 2006

Allan Hansen wrote:

>I'm starting with an empty list called Test and a file, Long,
>with a subscriber (me) in long format, and another file, Short,
>with a subscriber (me) in short format:
>
>// Empty list
>$/usr/share/mailman/bin/list_members -f Test
><nothing>
>
>// The files Long and Short
>$cat Long
>Allan Hansen <hansen at rc.org>
>
>$cat Short
>hansen at rc.org
>
>// Here's the traceback from add_members:
>$add_members -r Long Test
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/add_members", line 277, in ?
>    main()
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/add_members", line 257, in main
>    addall(mlist, nmembers, 0, send_welcome_msg, s, enable_mail)
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/bin/add_members", line 157, in addall
>    mlist.setDeliveryStatus(member, MemberAdaptor.ENABLED)
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 338, in setDeliveryStatus
>    self.__assertIsMember(member)
>  File "/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 113, in __assertIsMember
>    raise Errors.NotAMemberError, member
>Mailman.Errors.NotAMemberError: Allan Hansen <hansen at rc.org>

This is apparently some Apple modified add_members script. The line
numbers don't correlate with any distributed Mailman 2.1.x, and the
standard script does not call the setDeliveryStatus() method at all.

<snip>

>// Now, let's try removing same. We have a problem:
>$/usr/share/mailman/bin/remove_members -f Long Test
>No such member: Allan Hansen <hansen at rc.org>

Yes, I mentioned this previously. remove_members does not accept the
'long' format, but then if you're removing a member, you probably
don't care about the 'name'.

>The above shows that 'add_members' and 'remove_members' don't understand
>the long format that is readily accepted by 'sync_members' and output by
>'list_members'.

Well, my add_members does. I think Apple broke yours. You might try
getting a recent add_members from
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mailman/mailman/bin/add_members>,
and see if that works for you.