[Mailman-Users] sorting out bounces

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Jan 2 18:00:44 CET 2006

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Could you take a look at the bounce processing page
> (http://YOUR-SERVER.TLD/lists/admin/LISTNAME/bounce or so) and tell us
> what the settings are?

bounce_processing: yes
bounce_score_threshold: 5.0
bounce_info_stale_after: 7
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings: 3
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval: 7
bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner: yes
bounce_notify_owner_on_disable: yes
bounce_notify_owner_on_removal: yes

> Since you say "monthly notices", I suppose you're not seeing
> spam-related bounces (that would be daily...).  For the sake of
> completeness, I mention that I've seen a _lot_ of bounces coming back
> because spammers have picked up on the mailman admin addresses.  These
> get through to a human because they're "unrecognized bounces".

I really hate to brag, but I must.  My antispam system reduces those
kind of bounce notices to one or two a week at most with no false
positives for any list.   However in its current form, I wouldn't
recommended it for sites with a traffic rate of greater than 4-8
messages per second.  On the other hand, it is running on a Pentium
III/500 MHz machine with heavy logging and I have never really pushed it.

--- eric