[Mailman-Users] Backing up your mailing list

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Jan 3 18:59:01 CET 2006

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Hujjah 313 wrote:

> Is there a feature on mailman whereby we can backup our mailing list on hard
> disk?

Well, they're already on the server's hard disks. If you want to back up the
lists, all you need to do is copy them, they're in the mailman/lists dir.
Given the size of the rest of MM, you might as well copy out the entire
mailman directory tree. (OTOH, all server disks ought to be backed up

> Its quite necessary to have a hard copy of your list when dealing with
> 10,000+ emails where people constantly want to subscribe and unsubscribe.

That's a lot of members to keep on hard copy, so I'm sure I don't understand
the reasoning. I don't bother keeping lists of 20 on hard copy. If you just
need a list of all members, list_members will produce that. Run it w/o
arguments for help.