[Mailman-Users] failure to exec script

Neil Muller neil at alia.org.au
Tue Jan 3 23:17:27 CET 2006

We've just started having a problem with posts to our mailman lists. Posts
are being rejected with an error of "Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list-name-here". Command output:
Failure
    to exec script. WANTED gid 67, GOT gid 65533."

This started after a system reboot. The system is SUSE SLES9 with latest
patches installed. I have read the various posts in the mailman-users
archives and although there are many the talk about the same problem none
of the solutions suggested seems to resolve the problems we are having.

I have checked the SUSE sysconfig and updated it  to the correct gids for
cgi and mail. I have also checked /etc/mailman and updated the
mailman.mail-gid file to the correct mailman gid. /etc/group has mailman
as gid 67. I have also run check_perms -f which reported no errors. In the
end I downgraded the SUSE mailman rpm to the previous version (which was
working fine) but this reports the same error as the update version did. I
checked ownership and group for all the files in /usr/lib/mailman and
/var/lib/mailman and they appear to be correct with gid of mailman and uid
of root or mailman.

mailman was installed/updated via rpm and YAST online updates although
with the downgrade I manually updated /etc/sysconfig/mailman and ran then
SuSEconfig --modules mailman command separately. I checked/updated
/etc/mailman/mailman.mail-gid after SuSEconfig had done its thing.

The currently installed version of mailman is 2.1.4-83.7 (the version I
downgraded from was 2.1.4-83.18) and the OS is "2.6.5-7.244-smp #1 SMP Mon
Dec 12 18:32:25 UTC 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux".

I'm not sure where to look next so any ideas or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Neil
email: neil at alia.org.au