[Mailman-Users] Mailman page won't display in browser (using VPN)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 4 01:48:52 CET 2006

Tristan Colson wrote:

>When I try to invoke our Mailman installation in a browser (Firefox,
>although it doesn't work in IE either), via our corporate VPN
>(Netscreen-Remote on Windows XP), instead of displaying the page in the
>browser, it attempts to download a file.
> I see the message:
>-------------------------------------
>You have chosen to open
>
>which is a: application/x-httpd-php
>from: http://mailman.ourcompany.com
>
>What should Firefox do with this file?
>--------------------------------------
>(Note: the filename above is blank)
>
>Mailman works fine from directly within our network, it just doesn't
>work when I am using the VPN. I imagine it has more to do with the VPN
>than with Mailman, but so far Mailman is the only web application that
>behaves in this fashion, so I am looking for clues as to what might be
>causing this behaviour. Seems like some kind of weird MIME-type bug, but
>I'm not sure what (other PHP applications behave fine within our VPN).
>
>Would appreciate any clues...

I don't know why this would happen with Mailman only, and it does seem
like a VPN issue or a VPN/web server integration issue.

All Mailman pages except for public archives are served by CGI scripts
(which may account for the lack of filename) and they all begin with a

header where 'xxx' is the character set associated with the language of
the page. PHP should not be involved at all. Certainly, the
application/x-httpd-php content type does not come from Mailman.