[Mailman-Users] permission denied error on sending mails to mailinglist

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 4 18:46:19 CET 2006

dylan lim wrote:

>Mayb this will make it clearer. Postfix is installed using yum install
>postfix.
>While mailman is compiled from source with the following options:
>
>./configure --with-mail-gid=postfix --with-cgi-gid=apache

The --with-mail-gid=postfix doesn't come into play yet, because you
aren't getting that far. This causes the
/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman wrapper to check that it was invoked
from the postfix group to prevent just anyone from running it. In your
case it isn't being executed because the OS is saying postfix doesn't
have permission to run it.

>However, I keep encountering errors where postfix is unable to execute the
>wrapper for /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman
>
>The errors on my maillog are here:
>
>fatal: execvp /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman : Permission denied
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction? Posting to postfix doesnt seem
>to yield any remedies. Thanks

What happens if you log in as the postfix user/group (or su to the
postfix user/group) and try to run the wrapper?

/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman

should produce

Usage: /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman program [args...]

or something similar? If you get permission denied, you have to solve
that. If you don't, you have to figure out what is different between
your doing it and Postfix's doing it.

BTW, I believe that Postfix will try to execute the wrapper as the
user/group that owns the aliases.db file that contains the mailman
aliases. This may not be consistent with your --with-mail-gid=postfix
configure option.