[Mailman-Users] Spamassassin/Mailman - filter messages to list-owners

Michael Berkowski berk0081 at umn.edu
Wed Jan 4 18:56:18 CET 2006

Greetings All,

I have just joined this list and I hope that I am not cluttering it up with
an easy or common question.  I have spent quite a bit of time searching
Google, the list archive, and FAQ without success for the answer.

I work for a library organization which runs ~100 different lists for
various library and reference resources.  These lists are moderated by a few
dozen individuals.  I have recently implemented SpamAssassin with Mailman on
our server, using the spamd.py and spamassassin.py handlers described here:
http://www.jamesh.id.au/articles/mailman-spamassassin/
The spamd/spamassassin handlers are called with GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(1,
'SpamAssassin') in mm_cfg.py.

This method has far exceeded our expectations for reducing the amount of
spam held for moderation, but it does not seem to have any effect on spam
messages sent to the *-owner@ or *-request@ addresses.  It would appear that
all messages to those addresses pass straight through without being scanned
by the handlers, leaving phishing scams in our moderators' inboxes by the
hundreds.  I never see anything related to these in the mailman logs.

We have configured /etc/postfix/aliases for each list as:
## test mailing list
test:              "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
test-admin:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin test"
test-owner:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner test"
etc...

I had assumed that since a similar process is used to resolve the correct
address when posting to the list or sending to the owner that the spam
handler would respond similarly to each.  Could anyone recommend a fix or a
how-to for this?  It does seem like a question which would have been asked
and answered many times over but I have not been able to find the info and
apologize if I missed it in a FAQ.

Using Mailman 2.1.2
Spamassassin 3.1.0

Thanks very much,
Michael Berkowski
---
MINITEX Library Information Network / MnLINK
University of Minnesota