[Mailman-Users] User unknown messages

Darren G Pifer dpifer at odu.edu
Fri Jan 6 18:29:32 CET 2006

Hello,

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 09:25 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Darren G Pifer wrote:
> >
> >      One of our list serve admins is trying to send out a bunch of
> >email to several list serves. He has defined a group in Lotus Notes,
> >which comprises the different list serves, and when he sends mail to
> >the group, the mail is not being delivered. The mail logs show that
> >mail is coming from the list serve but is not being delivered because
> >of 'user unknown' messages. We use LDAP, specifically OpenLDAP on a
> >Linux, for our user lookups. The directory is working properly.
> >Here are a few of the 'user unknown' messages:
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying there is a group in Lotus
> Notes which consists of the addresses of some Mailman lists and mail
> to that group is sent to the Mailman lists and resent by Mailman to
> the list members and is ultimately not delivered because the outgoing
> MTA says 'user unknown'?

That is correct. According to the sender, this used to work but does
not now. No changes have been made to the list (AFAIK) and none to
the mailman software.

> What happens when a post is sent directly to one of these lists, not
> via the Lotus Notes group?

I asked the user to send mail from Lotus Notes to the listserve and it
does the same thing. Just to you know, the sender has several list
serves he is mailing to. In one case, the mail was delivered (to 19
members), the other was not delivered (to 32 members). I am checking
the configuration of both list serves and conparing them. I will let
you know what I find out.

Darren
ODU