[Mailman-Users] User unknown messages

Darren G Pifer dpifer at odu.edu
Fri Jan 6 20:56:27 CET 2006

Hello,

       Thanks for all the help but I got resolution from our spam
filter vendor Roaring Penguin. Apparently, the issue was a side effect
of the interaction of the Mailman and CanIt-PRO, the spam filter
software we have implemented on our mail machines. It seems that if
there was one address in the list that was bad it would cause the whole
message to be rejected. Their recommendation changes cause Mailman to
submit mail through the mail server's address rather than from
localhost. Since the mail no longer appears to be coming from
'localhost', CanIt-PRO will do address validation at RCPT time rather
than waiting until after the DATA phase. Before the change, canit would
reject the message if there was one bad recipient, now it will rejects
only the bad recipients.

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 10:52 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Darren G Pifer wrote:
>
> These log entries indicate that in both cases the outgoing message was
> accepted for delivery by the outgoing MTA. Whatever the issue is that
> is preventing delivery of the 32, it is not detected until later in
> the process when the MTA attempts to deliver to the 32 recipients.
>
> Is there any difference in the form of the actual member addresses
> between the two lists?

Here are the recommended changes from the vendor:

1) In /etc/mail/access, add this line:

Connect:mailserver1.odu.edu         RELAY

2) Rebuild the access DB:  make -C /etc/mail

3) Edit Mailman's "Defaults.py" file.

Make sure the following two settings are set as follows:

DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
SMTPHOST = 'mailserver1.odu.edu'

Darren
ODU