[Mailman-Users] MTA (postfix) and web server (apache2) on different machines - how to configure mailman?

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Mon Jan 9 23:34:19 CET 2006

I have an odd situation and it's making my head heard just trying to
explain it to you.

I have two (Linux) machines behind a NATing firewall. One machine (Miro)
is my web server, and the other (Marien) is my mail machine.

The NATing firewall directs all http traffic to Miro, and all mail
traffic to Marien.

Miro runs apache2 and sendmail. Marien runs postfix. Both serve multiple
virtual domains: Miro serves the virtual websites and Marine serves the
virtual email addresses.

I have mailman running on Miro, and I can use it locally, and I can even
manipulate and control the mailing lists from outside my domain via the
web interface.

The trouble is as soon as I send email to the mailman system, it goes to
Marien, which doesn't know what to do with it.

Is there a reasonable solution to my problem?

Long term, I'd like to move my web server to marien, so if the solution
is very complicated, I might just wait until after the move.

I haven't tried this yet, but it might be simple to create aliases on
marien to direct all mailman traffic to miro.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

Michael