[Mailman-Users] Odd CGI problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jan 15 03:34:04 CET 2006

matt at giampapa.com wrote:

>I'm installing mailman on FreeBSD 6.0 from ports and using apache 2.0.55.
>I have the following in the virtual host definition.
>
>    ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"
>    ScriptAlias /pipermail/ "/usr/local/mailmain/archives/public/"

This should be

    Alias /pipermail/ "/usr/local/mailmain/archives/public/"

not ScriptAlias.

>    <Directory "/www/lists/mailman">

This should be

    <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin">

>        AllowOverride None
>        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
>        Order allow,deny
>        Allow from all
>    </Directory>
>    <Directory "/www/lists/pipermail">

This should be

    <Directory "/usr/local/mailmain/archives/public">

>        AllowOverride None
>        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI

Should be

        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

>        Order allow,deny
>        Allow from all
>    </Directory>
>    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

All this does is treat any files with .cgi extensions as cgi programs.
This is not normally reqired for Mailman.

>However, when I try to access /mailman/admin or /mailman/listinfo I get
>alot of garbage... then this
>
>Mailman CGI error!!!
>
>--with-cgi-gidwebCGImail--with-mail-gid-S%sThe Mailman CGI wrapper
>encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog:Group
>mismatch error. Mailman expected the %s wrapper script to be executed as
>group "%s", but the system's %s server executed the %s script as group
>"%s". Try tweaking the %s server to run the script as group "%s", or
>re-run configure, providing the command line option `%s=%s'.Failure to
>find group name %s. Try adding this group to your system, or re-run
>configure, providing an existing group name with the command line option
>%s.wwwlistinfodriverMailman cgi-wrapper (listinfo)$FreeBSD:
>src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtn.S,v 1.6 2005/05/19
>
>followed by more garbage.

It looks like what you are getting is the result of Apache 'displaying'
the contents of the wrapper instead of executing it.

This may be the result of some of the above errors