[Mailman-Users] Messages shunted and kept out of archives

John Swartzentruber nospam2 at mcswartz.org
Mon Jan 16 03:23:54 CET 2006

I recently upgraded to Mailman 2.1.7. A user (and co-moderator) on one 
of the lists that I run reported that some of his messages were missing 
from the archives and that one of them had been delivered to him without 
  the normal Mailman footers and subject modification.

I looked into it today and saw that there were three messages in the 
shunt directory. At least one of these was the primary message that we 
had discovered was missing from the archives.

I tried bin/unshunt, but it had no affect. The information from the 
error log is as follows:

Jan 15 19:39:13 2006 (7863) Uncaught runner exception: 'ascii' codec 
can't decode byte 0xe4 in position 5749: ordinal not in range(128)
Jan 15 19:39:13 2006 (7863) Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in _oneloop
     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in _onefile
     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ArchRunner.py", line 73, in 
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 216, in 
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 585, in 
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 626, in 
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 1116, 
in write_article
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 579, in 
     '\g<1>' + _(' at ') + '\g<2>', body)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/sre.py", line 143, in sub
     return _compile(pattern, 0).sub(repl, string, count)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe4 in position 
5749: ordinal not in range(128)

Jan 15 19:39:13 2006 (7863) SHUNTING: 

Because this is a new problem, I decided to try downgrading back to 
2.1.6 (by running "make install" in the 2.1.6 source directory). After I 
did this and ran bin/unshunt, the shunt directory was empty. 
Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and I didn't look to see whether it was the 
downgrade or the unshunt that emptied the directory. I also then ran 
bin/arch to rebuild the archives, and the previously missing message now 
shows up.

So it is possible that there is a problem introduced in 2.1.7, or it is 
possible that I still have the problem, but have worked around it. In 
case it is the former, I'm reporting it here. It seems like this might 
be similar to the "Shunting msgs." thread from a couple weeks ago, but 
that person was running 2.1.6.

I'll be happy to attempt to provide additional information if I can. 
This is just a personal server that I also use to host two or three 
small mailing lists.

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list