[Mailman-Users] notification system

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jan 23 08:54:37 CET 2006

    Matt> I have installed Mailman in hopes of using it as a type of
    Matt> 'notification' system.  For example, a user subscribes to
    Matt> the list, and after subscribing I can send him/her an email
    Matt> notifiying them an event that happens on my website.  The
    Matt> event would be unique for this user and should only be sent
    Matt> to him/her.  Is mailman the appropriate program for me?

No.

    Matt> If not, can anyone suggest another standard program that
    Matt> would do the job?

You want an issue tracker: I would suggest Roundup or RT, but I'm sure
there are others that would do a good job.  If you don't need to
handle incoming mail (for "subscriptions" or other user interaction)
and are hoping to grow to where you need an industrial-strength
solution, Bugzilla.  (Not that Roundup or RT aren't industrial
strength, just that the very large issue trackers I know of are
roll-yer-own, like Debian BTS and SourceForge Tracker, or Bugzilla.)