[Mailman-Users] Mailman stagger script?

John W. Baxter jwblist at loricamail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:08:24 CET 2006

On 1/25/06 7:40 AM, "John W. Baxter" <jwblist at loricamail.com> wrote:

> On 1/25/06 7:21 AM, "dan at thefoldmusic.com" <dan at thefoldmusic.com> wrote:
>
>> I was told by my hosting company that I need to pick a mailing list manager
>> for my 14,000+ subscriber e-mail list that would stagger the sending of the
>> email to something like 300 e-mails per hour to lower the impact on the
>> server. I already have Mailman installed, and the entire list currently sits
>> there. Is there any way to do this with Mailman?
>
> If you expect more than four messages per week to be sent to the list, then
> you can't do this with any mailing list manager.  (If I can still do
> arithmetic, it would take about 44 hours to send 14,000 messages at 300 per
> hour.)
>
> I think you need a different hosting company.
>
> Aside from that little detail, this general question has come up several
> times recently, and as far as I know the answer remains "no".

Oops.  That was a little too strong, if the hosting company means 300
messages, not 300 recipients.  You would need to NOT turn on
personalization, or VERP, and you would probably need to turn off the
monthly password reminders.

Given that, you would still run into the answer that no, Mailman doesn't
throttle.  But some other list management software might work.  Go to the
Mailman FAQ (link in the footer to this message) and search for
   throttle
for more information.

Rather than a whole new hosting company, you may want to look for a separate
host for your list, one that specializes in lists.  You would then need list
mailing addresses like list.example.com rather than example.com, so the
world can direct the mail properly, and the same for the web interface.
Such a hosting company might prefer software other than Mailman, or might
prefer Mailman.

  --John