[Mailman-Users] Confirmation e-mail goes to user that is notadmin or moderator

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jan 28 02:50:10 CET 2006

<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.013.htp>

>I did discover three things.
>
>1) The person getting the unwanted message sent me a copy and it was to
><list>-owner@<example.com> from mailman-bounces@<example.com>

This is how owner notifications should be sent.

>2) When I added the list through the control panel, it automatically placed
>a forwarder (only one) in the forwarder list:
>
>owner-<list>@<example.com>  ==>>> <list>-admin@<example.com>

This is wrong. If the intent of whatever did this is to handle mail to
owner-<list>@<example.com> by forwarding it to the list owner, it
should be forwarded to <list>-owner@<example.com>.

<list>-admin@<example.com> is a deprecated address. It hasn't been
actually used since Mailman 2.0.x. In Mailman 2.1.x it is a synonym
for <list>-bounces@<example.com>.

>2) Two people DID GET it that I did not expect and I found both addresses as
>forwarded from the "Default Address Maintenance" where "All unrouted mail
>will be sent".
>
>SO... I get the message for being in the moderator field as I should and
>they get it for unrouted mail. "<list>-owner" instead of "owner-<list>"
>should be forwarded. This is my working theory!! I have an idea of this is
>the course of action, but those more familiar can advise.

I'm not sure I'm correctly parsing the above, but the owner-<list>
address is not a Mailman address. It is an address that is generically
used by some to reach the owner of the list. Thus, with a Mailman
list, this address is supported by forwarding to the address that
actually reaches the owner.

What version of Mailman is this? I've been assuming it is a recent
2.1.x version, but maybe not, so what is it?

>THUS... what do I need to do or get the provider to fix?

Mailman 2.1.x expects 10 addresses per list to be delivered to Mailman
in specific ways and to not be 'unknown'.

These addresses are

<list>@...
<list>-bounces at ...
<list>-admin at ...  (does not go to the owner, goes to -bounces)
<list>-owner at ...
<list>-join at ...
<list>-leave at ...
<list>-subscribe at ...
<list>-unsubscribe at ...
<list>-request at ...
<list>-confirm at ...

Mailman 2.0.x expects only 4

<list>@...
<list>-admin at ...  (does go to the owner)
<list>-owner at ...
<list>-request at ...